July 12, 2012

A Realistic Garden - Lots of Variety!


First I want to apologize for the hideous formatting. Out of desperation I had to make something visable.  I am wondering if it is my blog theme that is causing issues.

I found a website that gives a planting schedule for the vegetables/fruits in our zone. This will give me a realistic idea of what Vegetables I can grow.   Zones 5-6 Planting Schedule. 


I found many sites that list some plants that are grown in zone 5, but they do not list ALL plants grown in zone 5.  I am thoroughly annoyed by this that I can't find a list of all common plants in zone 5. Even better, it would be nice to see a list that is categorized by plant type.(ornamental, vegetable, fruit, etc...) If anyone finds such a list, please pass it my way!  I may need to search at the library for this one.


Another site I just ran across is Harvest to Table. They also list a lot of farm and gardening blogs that I want to check out so I bookmarked for a later date.

I also appreciated the planting schedule at 2BSeeds that lists all hardiness zones and veggies.

Here are all foods we eat regularly that I would like to at least say that I attempted.  Some of these things we might do better to just buy in bulk from the experts (i.e. rice, beans, wheat, and oats)
Veggies/grains 
Carrots
Potatoes
Onions
Garlic
Broccoli
Peas
Peppers
Tomatoes
Green beans
Cucumbers
Lettuce
Kale
Spinach
Swiss Chard
Corn
Wheat
Oats
Rice
Black beans
Eggplant

Fruit trees are a dream to me.  I know it can be difficult to do organic, but I would like to at least try:

Fruit, melon, and squash
Apple
Pear
Strawberry
Blueberry
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Butternut Squash
Acorn Squash

Trees
Black Walnut (perhaps a dwarf variety and away from other plants)
Almond (great ornamental front yard tree)

Herbs - basil, cilantro, parsley, chives, lavender, rose hip, rosemary

Flowers and trees (besides the already listed)  Peony (will be the first thing planted on our land...) , lilacs (every color), daisies, pansies, coleus, holly, roses, maple, did I mention lavender and lots of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment so I can connect with you! Especially if you are a Michigan farming housewife! I have a lot to learn from you!