May 4, 2011

Look Ma! I made goat cheese!!!


With the help of a few youtube videos I made goat cheese last night.  I look forward to making more variations in the future, but I do need to find a better deal on goat milk.  I think $3.12 for 1 liter (1/4 gallon) is a bit steep! Does anyone know of a good place to get goat milk in West Michigan? We may need to practice with cow's milk for a while. What on earth does "ultra-pasteurized" mean?

For lunch today we made goat cheese and crackers with green onions, cucumbers, and carrots!  They were so pretty I had to take a picture.

Things like making our own cheese and yogurt are just a few of the things we desire to do on our own out in the country.  We don't expect to do everything, but at least right now these are things we can learn to help make the transition a bit easier. Like I have said in a previous post, going off grid is not social independence. We are not going to be able to provide for all our personal needs. This is why I don't really like the term "self sufficient." That would be cool to find someone who provides everything for themselves and never needs to go to the store even for cotton or TP. :)

I also posted over at my Undertaking Homemaking blog about the coleus I planted today.  I have decided to focus on a few things until our house sells one of them is doing flower gardening to help make our house look nice.
                                                                                                         

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katy,

    Not sure where you are in West Michigan, but...if you look at the Michigan listing on the Campaign for Real Milk website:
    http://www.realmilk.com/where3.html#mi
    to see if there's a farm near you. You can then buy a share (goat- or cow-) and support a local farm. You should be able to get milk cheaper than what you paid.

    But of course if you would like really cheap, then put dairy goats on your homestead list!

    all the best,
    el

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There is place maybe 10-15 minutes from us at the moment, but who knows where we will be in the next year!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment so I can connect with you! Especially if you are a Michigan farming housewife! I have a lot to learn from you!